Monday, March 29, 2010

The Spotlight


Last night I went on one of those midnight runs, where everything seemed to click.   To me, my spontaneous late night runs come in the form of therapy, and I really am running from my problems. Last night the stress seemed to slip off my shoulders with every beautiful step of my Nike’s, and with every stride I found new clarity in my life. With the right song, the perfect stride, and that new found clarity, I can honestly say that as I cut through the darkness it gave me the chills.  It is quite uncommon for me to feel that good on a run, and in my own little world…I felt unstoppable.

Forgive me as I day dream, but through last night’s experiences I had an epiphany:  About myself, about track, about the people in my life, but most of all…about success.

Last night I felt unstoppable, but unstoppable is truly subjective. In my own world I felt on top of my game, but in the real world I am far from unstoppable.  Trust me, I am a dreamer like none other, and I fully aspire to be a top-caliber athlete, but I am also a realist. I may never be an All-American track star, and I may never stand on the podium again, but I refuse to be defined by my lack of recognition in the spotlight.  And I hate to resort to reference the cliché quote, but isn’t life about the journey…not the destination?

What is success?  Money, cars, houses, awards, trophies? For the fortunate select few, standing on that podium is success, but being in the spotlight isn’t the sole definition of success. Many people might look at the recent years of my life as a failure, I left many great opportunities in my hometown for a very risky and uncertain future in Arizona.  I could have been an All-American at a small school, but instead I am an injury ridden walk-on at a Division 1 Track Powerhouse. But that is the superficial light you could shine on my life, I prefer to define my success in other terms.  Instead of talking about “doing”…I “did”, and I am here doing what I always dreamed of.  Although I am constantly injured, there is nowhere else I would rather be than running for Coach Quintana at Arizona State University. I have faith that by being here I will reach my full potential in every aspect of my life, whether it be a time on a track or simply defining myself. The people I have positively affected, the jobs and internships I have attained, and the countless, priceless memories I have experienced define my success…not my absence on the podium.

“The Podium” contains only a fraction of the excellence taking place in the world. Altruism, although unappreciated and often unnoticed, does exist. I did not fully appreciate my mom until I came to Arizona.  My mom, Dixie, defines altruism.  Every day she does little things to help others, without asking anything in return. She can warm your soul with her kindness or her delicious baked goods.  For such a small woman, the size of her heart is astronomical. For all that my mom does, I can almost guarantee that Martha Stewart or Oprah Winfrey won’t be stopping by with Dixie’s Mother of the Year award any time soon.

Every day, people are doing extraordinary things beyond the spotlight, completely unrecognized and unappreciated. 

For all the “little” people, who do big things, you have my respect…this post is for you.


















Keep your head up like your nose is bleedin',
TJF


PS:  My video of the week, Israel Kamakawiwo'Ole singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow.  I specifically bought a Ukulele for the sole purpose of learning to play this song.  I am not quite as good as the big man, but I try.





No comments:

Post a Comment